US Navy Point Mugu NAWS
The US Navy is serious about energy efficiency and wanted innovative ideas. 3FFICIENT provided a comprehensive energy audit of the entire Naval Air Weapons Station at Point Mugu which turned out to set the groundwork for many projects to follow.
The federal government has an executive order to reduce energy consumption worldwide. This facility is home to advanced naval weapons and air traffic monitoring for the Pacific. Reliable power supply is essential.
3FFICIENT performed on site energy efficiency surveys (audits) on all existing energy and water systems (HVAC, lighting, etc) on the entire base. Historical energy use was thoroughly analyzed and benchmarked. Then, detailed computer simulations for recommended retrofits and sustainable energy efficient upgrades were analyzed. Finally, detailed engineering reports and a comprehensive database inventory of energy using (mechanical, electrical and water) equipment was provided for monitoring ongoing savings and maintenance management.
This project involved extensive retrofits to lighting, HVAC, water, wastewater and other supporting systems.
- Energy Savings: 802 kW; 5,137,000 kWh; 58,588 Therms
- Emissions Savings: 5,146,356 lbs CO2 (GHG); 8,750 lbs NOx (smog);9,659 lbs SO2 (acid rain)
- Equivalent to planting 7,670 trees each year
- Equivalent to not driving 5,629,320 miles in a car annually
- Equivalent to powering 456 large homes with renewable energy